The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Senior Editors' Top 10
April 23, 2024
The basketball teams from Indiana University - Bloomington and University of Nebraska - Lincoln playing each other in the quarterfinal round of the 2024 Big Ten Tournament at Target Center on March 15th. The University of Nebraska - Lincoln won 93 - 66.
Photo of the Week
March 19, 2024

Sprinkler Halts Kickball Game

G. Amigon

When a fire alarm goes off, one tends to assume that the worst has happened. However, for one of AHA’s latest alarms, the reason behind it was actually quite comical. In an intense game of indoor kickball, the truly one in a million event happened: the head of a sprinkler was hit clean off. Since the head itself was actually removed, there was nothing that AHA could do to prevent the flow of water, and thus the alarm bells rang out. 

Though the indoor kickball game was forced to be postponed, it was not all doom and gloom: this was actually a great test of AHA’s ability to actively identify, alert, and respond to a live threat. The classes in the gym were promptly evacuated and a message was quickly sent to the administration team about what had happened. The team was then able to confirm the source of the alarm trip on the fire alarm system, silence the alarm, and quickly relay the information back to all the teachers. According to Mr. Tim Wolfgram, AHA’s assistant principal, the process took less than a minute to complete. The focus was then able to be shifted to the process of cleaning up the water from the gym to get it back in order. 

Mr. Wolfgram stated that, “This situation was a non-emergency test of our emergency procedures,” and that it was an effective and helpful event in testing the effectiveness of AHA’s safety system. Overall, though a tragic loss of a kickball game, this event was a big win for proving the effectiveness of AHA’s emergency response system.