The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Netflix Show in our Backyard

“Love is Blind” is one of the most popular shows streaming right now. It’s a new kind of reality dating show- instead of the typical superficiality, “Love is Blind” is centered around real, personal connection. According to Variety, the contestants are placed into “pods” where they cannot see each other, only hear, and are able to learn about one another without the distraction of appearance. They are given around ten days to get to know one another, before getting sent to a “honeymoon” in Mexico and returning to their hometown to (hopefully) tie the knot. Each season is set in a different bustling metropolis. The past six seasons have been located in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, Houston, and Charlotte. Currently, there is a lot of speculation about where the seventh season will be centered. 

There is gossip on the street that the show is going to be filmed in Minneapolis. The rumor started when the show casting producers started reaching out to people and recruiting MN citizens. These rumors started in late February when Minneapolis residents started discussing the sightings of film crews for this reality TV show. According to an inside source, local wedding venue Urban Daisy was originally contacted to host the show. Later, MPR said that, “One of the first posts was on Feb. 24 with photos of a film crew outside the 365 Nicollet apartment building in downtown Minneapolis.” To many Minneapolis citizens, this popularity can be exciting. Several individuals and groups have taken the action to wander around historically popular sites, in hopes of being in the background of the season.

Several people in the school and community have different opinions regarding the big question: Is Love Blind? This is the question that the reality tv show is based on and experimented with.  Senior Ava Dean said, “Yes, I believe love can be blind as it is not just the physical appearance that contributes to a relationship.” Several opinions are similar to Deans’, however some thought that appearance does play a role in a relationship. Junior Andrea Elsen said, “I think attraction is not blind and that’s often the first step of love, but yes I think real love is blind. You can’t have a genuine relationship based on attraction or looks for romantic love.”