The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Plans After High School

Unique paths that seniors will take after graduation
    Clockwise from top left: Sabina Rosell, Jackson Heichert, Patrick Skamser, and Zaira Flores

As the school year wraps up, many of the seniors have decided that they are currently deciding where they’ll be next year. However, college isn’t the journey that all AHA seniors are taking. Some have decided to go through the college route while others have determined that college isn’t for them. Here are the plans of 4 seniors who have decided on the path they will embark on.

Zaira Flores ‘24 is one of a few AHA students who has chosen to go the US military reserves route while attending Iowa State University. She chose to join the reserves because to her it symbolizes “strength, courage, and discipline.” Those three characteristics are what Zaira has been exhibiting throughout her entire life. She also believes that once her time in the reserves is up, she’ll be able to find many opportunities throughout her life, outside of just the military. Zaira has chosen to enlist in the Marine Corps sector of the US military reserves program because she admires the difficulty of receiving the title of “marine”. She is also infatuated by the history of the Marine Corps as well. During her time with the reserves, Zaira hopes to “be a leader” through her dedication and valor. She is honored to be serving the United States and can’t wait to present that to the rest of the Marines.

Patrick Skamser ‘24 will be attending a university, but it’s where the university is located which makes it special. Patrick will be attending the University of Galway in Galway, Ireland where he intends to major in Film and Digital Media along with Sociological & Political Studies. This is because when touring colleges over the last few years, Patrick did not resonate with any of the campuses due to what he calls a lack of a “connection with any of the options [he] was looking at”. However, when in Ireland for vacation, he “intensely loved the country” because of its uniqueness. The University of Galway, and Ireland in general, “offers academic excellence” according to Patrick, in addition to its “stunning landscapes”. Patrick says that this is the perfect place for him to grow over the next four years because he’ll be obtaining a more “global perspective” on life that can’t be found anywhere else. 

Sabina Rosell ‘24 will be attending a college in the United States, but it’s one of the few that carries a specific major that no other college or university in the United States carries. Sabina is planning on attending Evergreen State College and is majoring in ethnobiology. She chose to attend Evergreen State because she’s always been interested in the natural world and “[she] wants to educate others on the potential that natural medicine holds”. Something that Sabina also loves about Evergreen State is that they grade off of self-assessment which helps with the stresses that come with attending college in her eyes. Sabina is a big believer in having a job that you love, not because of the money but because it’s something you want to do for the rest of your life. She says that she “would rather work a job [she] loves that doesn’t get the best pay” because she’ll be able to maintain her happiness. 

Jackson Heichert ‘24 decided not to take the traditional college/university route but instead decided to attend trade school like other AHA seniors. Jackson will be attending Dunwoody Tech while figuring out what trade job he would like to do. He is excited because he’ll be able to learn through internships while still being enrolled in trade school. Jackson is very optimistic about the job outlook of trade careers. He believes that he will make good money since “trade workers are going up in need in today’s economy” which will make getting rid of this debt much easier. He is hopeful that by going to Dunwoody and embarking on internships he will be able to start his own trade business in the future. 

Best of luck to all of the senior Stars!