The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Behind the Scenes of Delivering Christmas

Joe Berg

Every December, students and staff at AHA join together to give back to their community, strategically finding ways to buy gifts for families in need. Each homeroom is assigned a specific family who has given a list of what they desire most for Christmas. Students converse with one another, trying to determine how they can each contribute to ensure the family has presents to open on Christmas morning just like they will. However, for every homeroom across the building, this process looks different. 

In Mr. Wright’s senior homeroom, students state what they would like to bring in, assuring that the necessities (ie. clothes, dishes, learning tools) are taken first because those have the most value. Once all the necessities are taken, students typically pair with fellow students to try and purchase the bigger, more luxurious items that are desired. Some of these items could include electronics or bigger toys, items that are still needed, but not essential. By pairing with other students, Wright’s homeroom has found success in being able to fulfill everything on the family’s list. When asked what this tradition means to her, a senior in Wright’s homeroom stated, “to me it means generosity and kindness to others even if we don’t personally know them. It helps others realize that we should be grateful for what we have and what we can do for others.” 

Ms. Ahlm’s sophomore homeroom breaks the process down by dividing themselves among the family members. The students choose who they want to buy their gifts for, then choose what they will bring in. When tackling the more expensive items on the list, which tends to be done by the homeroom first, Ms. Ahlm or a group of students takes the lead, splitting the cost amongst them. Additionally, some students who have already bought their gifts but wish to further contribute donate money. This year, Ms. Ahlm’s homeroom was able to bring in every item on their list, with very eager help from every one of the students. 

Despite taking slightly different paths when navigating the task of the Christmas baskets, each homeroom successfully donates as many presents as possible. At the end of the week, students, staff, and members of Family Solutions gather in the gymnasium for a prayer service. Through speeches and expressed gratitude of the people who are receiving the donations, students get to see the impact they have made on others’ lives, something that will stick with them forever. During the holiday season, most families in the AHA community are lucky enough to not have to worry about putting presents under the tree, a luxury not every family has. By sacrificing efforts and money and putting it towards those who need it during the holiday season, the AHA community shows who they are – loving, giving, and welcoming.