The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Senior Editors' Top 10
April 23, 2024
The basketball teams from Indiana University - Bloomington and University of Nebraska - Lincoln playing each other in the quarterfinal round of the 2024 Big Ten Tournament at Target Center on March 15th. The University of Nebraska - Lincoln won 93 - 66.
Photo of the Week
March 19, 2024

Battle of the Tracks Trophy Stays at AHA

The Battle of the Tracks trophy will be staying in the AHA trophy cabinet for a while, as girls tennis, girls soccer, boys soccer, volleyball, and football all defeated Richfield last week, securing the traveling trophy on each occasion. The rivalry between AHA and Richfield is hotly contested across all sports; however, the Stars took care of business against their neighbors last week, going 5-0 against the Spartans.

The first matchup against Richfield came on Wednesday, September 6th, where volleyball took down the Spartans 3-0 in consecutive sets at Richfield High School. This put the Stars at 3-1 overall on the season and at the top of the TriMetro conference.

On Thursday, September 7th, girls tennis as well as both soccer teams faced the Spartans. 

Girls tennis began the evening by keeping the winning streak alive for AHA. They defeated Richfield 5-2 away from their home courts. 

Next up was girls soccer, who had a statement win against the Spartans, winning 11-0. Their 10 first half goals were too much for the Spartans, with three coming in 12 minutes from striker Elizabeth Mejia-Quintanilla ‘25. 

Rounding out the triple header, boys soccer traveled to Richfield where they were successful in getting revenge for last year’s playoff loss. The boys won 6-3 and improved to 4-0-0 on the season. This was another statement win for the Stars, as a three goal margin is the largest for either team in the matchup since 2020.

Finally, on Saturday, September 9th, AHA football bounced back from a week one loss with a 64-6 road win against the Spartans, improving to 1-1 on the season. Both the offense and defense were firing on all cylinders as returning and new players contributed to the tremendous victory, securing the fifth and final win of the week for AHA.

Photo Courtesy of Frear Photography