The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Grandparents/Special Friends Day

Landon Stenger enjoyed the afternoon with his family.

Grandparents Day is an annual tradition at AHA where 300+ grandparents and other special guests are invited to spend the afternoon with their student(s). The day begins at 1:00 pm when the guests arrive on campus and are greeted by the student(s) that invited them. To start the afternoon, a mass is held, which is then followed by a reception with refreshments and treats. During the reception, every family is given the opportunity to take a family picture to celebrate and remember the day. Following the reception, students have the opportunity to take their special guest around AHA, showing them their classrooms and meeting their teachers. 

This year, AHA made a change to the events of the day by inviting a guest speaker, alumni Joan Rourke, nee Willenburg, ‘65 rather than holding the prize raffle done in previous years. Guests had the opportunity to listen to Rourke speak on her experience as a student at the academy. One special guest spoke on how they preferred this change, stating, “Grandparents Day is very special the way it is, but I much preferred hearing from the speaker instead of winning prizes.” After asking many grandparents about their experience going to Grandparents Day, one opinion was shared amongst many; in the words of a grandmother who has been coming to Grandparents Day for eight years, she stated, “There is nothing more special about Grandparents Day than getting to see my grandchildren.”