The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The basketball teams from Indiana University - Bloomington and University of Nebraska - Lincoln playing each other in the quarterfinal round of the 2024 Big Ten Tournament at Target Center on March 15th. The University of Nebraska - Lincoln won 93 - 66.
Photo of the Week
March 19, 2024
The cast of The Hunchback of Notre Dame finishing rehearsal. They are preparing for opening night on April 13th.
Photo of the Week
March 12, 2024

Experiences of Some AHA’s Longest-Lasting Teachers

AHA has had some amazing teachers throughout its 145-year-history. Many teachers have come and gone; they may now be substitute teachers, they are enjoying retirement, or they are currently still teaching at AHA. But, only a few teachers were here at the beginning of the road- the road of the growth and recognition that AHA receives today. Some of our long-lasting teachers, Mr. DeCrans, Mr. Sawyer, and Mr. Woods, were interviewed to talk about their time here.

1. When did you begin teaching at AHA?

Mr. DeCrans: “2005…I think that was Mr. Hartmann’s freshman year!”

Mr Sawyer: “I have been at AHA for 40 years. I came to direct in 1982 and teach in ‘83.”

Mr. Woods: “I started teaching at AHA in 1987.”

2. Is there anything AHA used to have that you wished they still had today?

Mr. DeCrans:  “We used to have a class called American Experience. It was an American Literature and History class in one. I team-taught this class with an English teacher for many years. It was a really fun way to learn about our country’s history using art, music, poems, field trips, and lots more. The class was two periods a day all year, so we were able to forge close bonds with those students.”

Mr. Sawyer: “We used to have “Evening Academy”, which was Adult Education. Teachers would teach a 6-week, one night a week course of their choosing. It was fun, and well-attended, and a great boost of cash to the teachers who chose to offer a class.”

Mr. Woods: “I wish we still had [Family and Consumer Sciences] classes.”

3. Any advice to the current teachers and students here at AHA?

Mr. DeCrans: “Think critically – the world needs thoughtful leaders who can lead bravely and selflessly. Act justly – apply the Golden Rule personally, locally, and globally! READ MORE!”

Mr. Sawyer: “My advice to current students and staff – enjoy the time. It goes by very quickly and if you blink you will miss stuff.”

Mr. Woods: “’Be flexible.”

4. Why have you remained at AHA?

Mr. DeCrans: “I love working with my colleagues and getting to teach subjects I’m very passionate about to students who are going to make great adults and leaders some day.”

Mr. Sawyer: “I stay because AHA has always believed in Arts, education, and particularly theater.”

Mr. Woods: “The people who teach and attend AHA. ”