The Student News Site of Academy of Holy Angels

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

The Blue & Gold

Behind the Scenes: How I Started a Small Business in High School

Bikini Blend is a small bikini business based on the goals of sustainability and female empowerment. I started this business in the spring of eighth grade when it was just an “idea.” Ever since I was younger, I have been super interested in entrepreneurship. I ran many businesses when I was younger, including a slime and painting business. I was involved in a “Shark Tank for kids” experience called the Youth Entrepreneurship Academy (YEA) which allowed me to create connections with other young entrepreneurs as well as business owners. YEA allowed me to form Bikini Blend’s business plan, and I started creating the website. I was awarded the maximum amount of money from the investors for my final presentation and placed second in the whole competition. This money allowed me to explore options such as sewing the suits by hand, and I was able to buy starter business supplies. My friends and families were ecstatic and very supportive. I was not able to create the bikini bottoms with the sewing machines I had, so I turned to another direction: importing.

I researched sustainable manufacturing for a year, and eventually I found a great company located in Indonesia. I surveyed my consumer demographic and placed an order for my first collection. To match the collection, I found matching material and sewed the tote bags for my collection, in which my grandma helped me design.  While waiting for the bulk order, I used the sample bikinis I had previously ordered for a photo shoot with models. I used the photos from the shoot to market my business on many platforms. I released the website (bikiniblend.com) on June 2, 2022 and started collecting pre-orders. I decided that the collection would be three different suits, all different and unique in a way you could not find at any store. They each have something special about them such as texture, color, or pattern.  

Now, it is not swim season so I am heavily working on marketing and creating the next collections. I continue to grow and expand through various promotions, vendor sales, and marketing ads. I have also decided to add accessories to sell with the suits. 

My ultimate goal for Bikini Blend is to become successful enough that I can own my own physical business and have my own store. Bikini Blend is about empowering women to do their very best while feeling their very best; it has been an amazing opportunity to learn responsibilities and grow as an entrepreneur.